November 17, 2011

The potato spectrum

It’s official!  Thanksgiving is just one week away.  The countdown has started.  I feel like I’m on a roller coaster ride, my head is spinning out of control, and I still haven’t decided what to bring to the Thanksgiving feast.  Not a good feeling, I can tell you that!  Hopefully, this week will give me some good ideas. 

We are talking about potatoes, again.  I told you before that I hate boiling potatoes.  However, the best part of overcooked potatoes is that I always end up with mashed potatoes, which I happen to adore!  They are rich, buttery and the perfect starch component of a dish.  I’m a devoted fan of the simple, creamy mashed potatoes with a hint of fresh parsley in the mix, which my grandma Vicki makes.  Yet, over time I’ve learned to play around with my potatoes and to add various ingredients and flavors to make them more fun, colorful and interesting; and trust me, there is a lot you can do with mashed potatoes!  




By the way, did you know that, according to Food Network Magazine (November 2011), one Russet potato has more potassium than a banana and is packed with vitamins C and B6, iron, magnesium and fiber?  In addition, there is an immense variety of potatoes and colorful potatoes for that matter, from sweet potatoes and cranberry red potatoes, to purple fiesta or purple majesty potatoes and all-blue potatoes; and they are all packed with antioxidants and vitamins, such as beta-carotene, vitamin C, iron, anthocyanins and lutein.  I guess… I’ll keep eating my potatoes. 

These mashed potatoes are creamy and cheesy, while the mixed herbs add freshness, balance out the flavors, and cut though the richness.  Mashed potatoes are essential on the Thanksgiving table, so don’t miss out on this recipe!  

Mashed Potatoes with Cheddar Cheese and Mixed Herbs
Adapted from Food Network Magazine (November 2011)

Serves: 4-6 servings

Ingredients:

·         2 pounds whole russet or Yukon gold potatoes
·         Kosher salt and black pepper
·         1 stick softened butter
·         1 cup whole milk
·         2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
·         2 Tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
·         2 Tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
·         1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded




Instructions:

Put the potatoes in a saucepan.  Cover with cold water and add 2 Tablespoons salt.  Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, uncovered, until tender, about 45 minutes.  Drain the potatoes and let sit until just cool enough to handle, then peel and transfer to a bowl. 

Add the butter to the potatoes.  Add the milk, 2 teaspoons of salt, and pepper to taste.  Mash with a potato masher.  Stir the parsley, dill and chives into the potatoes.  Fold in the cheese.  Spoon the mashed potatoes into a serving dish and enjoy responsibly! 

1 comment:

  1. I had the opportunity to make this dish over the weekend. It was without question the greatest mashed potato dish I have ever had. Thank you so much for listing out the healthy benefits of potatoes because after this recipe I certainly will be eating my share.

    ReplyDelete